A COURSE ON MODERN RUSSIA

The announcement that Professor Lord will open his general course in Russian History after mid-year's, as a half-course dealing especially with more recent events in Russia, comes as welcome evidence that Harvard is keeping abreast of the times in the matter of curriculum. While, in general, it is not the proper function of a university to deal with questions upon which much evidence is outstanding, nothing stimulates undergraduate interest so much or shows in such a concrete way the bearing of the classroom on life as a stimulating discussion and analysis of contemporaneous events.

A course on the Russian situation is of particular significance. No other modern country is shrouded in such a veil of mystery, and in no other field is a thorough, non-partisan investigation so much to be desired. There has been found at present no middle ground on the question. Naturally a course on Russia at Harvard College will not dispel all the extremists, but it has two important contributions to make. It will show that the University has not been led away from academic investigation by the current exaggerations regarding "reds," and will thus strengthen its reputation for scientific and liberal thought. Furthermore, the beginning which is indicated by Professor Lord's course, if followed up here and at other colleges, will bring out facts about Russia which may help the nation to adopt an intelligent and effective policy towards that country during the next few years; years which are sure to be full of strife in the Russian situation.

Everything possible should be done to awaken interest in this course and to insure its continuation in subsequent years with even greater emphasis on contemporary problems. And nothing should be neglected which would help to make it broad in its scope and absolutely non-partisan in its nature. Only by a courageous search for truth, by discounting all propaganda, can the course be of lasting value.