ON BEHALF OF THE "PINKS."

It is an unfortunate fact that all news must be printed in black and white. Even our most conservative journals cannot show us life in the half-tones of reality. So a class of people has suddenly appeared in our country--"Reds." Many persons so classified are misplaced.

A "liberal" ought not to be a "radical" no matter how "conservative" the classifier may be. Real "Reds"--that is, persons actually plotting the violent overthrow of the United States government, are few. They ought to be suppressed.

But persons who have ideas for the peaceful advancement of society are valuable members of the body politic. It has been pointed out again and again that the innovations of today are the fixtures of tomorrow. From the persons with progressive ideas comes progress. To stifle these persons is to check progress, or to make it come in harmful, sudden, violent rushes. It is easy, even logical, for a suppressed "Pink" to turn "Red."

If justice and progress are to continue, the line of demarcation between these two classes must be drawn with infinitely greater care than it is today.