"G.B.'s" TAKE LABORATORY CLASSWORK IN ADVERTISING

Greenleaf Company Entertains Section From Business School at Boston Office.

On a recent afternoon the offices of the Greenleaf Company, Boston, became the classroom where about thirty-five young men from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration received a lesson on "Advertising in the making."

This form of "laboratory work" in advertising is an innovation inaugurated at Harvard by Professor Daniel Starch of the University of Wisconsin, and a member of the lecture staff of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, who felt that the students would be greatly benefited by an opportunity to see, at first hand, how an advertising agency undertakes the work of launching an advertising campaign. A. B. Hall, General Manager of the Greenleaf Company, led the class step by step through the various stages in the preparation of an advertising campaign--the investigation of market conditions, the selection of media to reach the type of purchasers it is desired to interest, the formulation of selling arguments, the preparation of layouts, copy and illustrations, and the merchandising of the advertising to the trade.

Considerable time was devoted to a careful exposition of the follow-up work which is so valuable a part of an advertising agency's service to its clients, as well as to an explanation of the formulation of campaigns for direct mail selling. At the conclusion of his talk Mr. Hall answered questions put to him by the students, after which they were given an opportunity to watch the various departments of the Greenleaf Agency at their work.