COMMENCE MEDICAL LECTURES

PHYSICIANS LAUNCH A SERIES OF AFTERNOON TALKS NEXT SUNDAY.

A series of lectures on "every-day" medical subjects is to be given on Sunday afternoons in February and March at the Harvard Medical School on Longwood avenue, Boston. Admission to these lectures is free, and all members of the University, as well as the general public, are privileged to attend them. The lectures will begin at 4 P. M. each Sunday, and the only requirement is that those who attend them must be in their seats at that time. They will be given by physicians at the Harvard Medical School, and, as in previous years, the course is carefully arranged with a view to giving useful information on subjects in which there is a common and general public interest. Most of the lectures are illustrated so as to make the information conveyed clear to those who are without special medical knowledge. Because of the popularity of the lectures, it is well for those who desire to hear them to be at the lecture hall in ample time to obtain seats, as the doors are closed five minutes after the hour.

First Lecture on Child Welfare.

On February 1 Dr. Richard M. Smith, M. D., '07, will speak upon child welfare, a topic which has always been of moment to parents and social service workers, and which has attracted particular attention during the war, in view of the fact that the federal government waged a campaign for child welfare as a war measure, believing that infant mortality ought to be reduced as a matter of national necessity. Two lecturers on vaccination will follow. On February 8 Dr. E. H. Ernst will take as his subject "Protection Against Infection in Diseases other Than Smallpox," discussing the value of vaccination in the prevention of typhoid fever and other diseases. Here again the information which the medical profession has acquired during the war will be set before the public.

Dr. Kurt H. Thoma, D. M. D., 11, will lecture on February 22 upon "Diseases of the Teeth and Their Relation to Systemic Diseases, a subject in which physicians and dentists are now co-operating to find to what extent rheumatism and similar ailments may be traced to defective teeth. On February 29 Dr. Frederick T. Lord '97 will speak on pneumonia. On March 7 Dr. Percy G. Stiles will take as his topic "Some Aspects of Alcohol." On March 14 Dr. W. T. Bovie, G.R., '14, will set forth some new conceptions on the construction of matter. One of the outstanding features of the present work of the Harvard Medical School, the researches in industrial medicine, will suggest the topic of the March 21 lecture which will be given by Dr. C. K. Drinker upon the topic, "Health and Industry."

In the closing lecture of the series on March 28 Dr. Channing Frothingham '02 will set forth some points of interest to the public in regard to medical education as brought out by the recent war.