"AND INK OF ADDER'S BLOOD."

Lampy is nothing if not versatile. He arraigned the faculty and the undergraduates; he has turned from that bulwark of New England tradition-the Manuscript--to the "Americanism" and osmopolitanism" of Hearst. But never before the current number has he set himself up as a crusader. Now he has dropped his wonted jollity and dedicated himself to that "stern god, Caustic Alkali." He has shed his Jester's trappings, has taken on a snake skin, and, with adder's blood, pursues the vermin. phrosyne sits alone at home.

But Lampy seems to have over-acted a new role. The strangeness of his new acting has unbalanced him; for in the torrent, tempest, and, as we may whirlwind of his passion, he has forgot the temperance which may give it smoothness (Oh, it offends us to the soul to hear the robustious, periwig-pated Lampy tear a passion to latters, to very rags!)

He has out-heroded Herod. And, in lling the "Propagandist's figurative " he has put his figurative foot into his own figurative mouth.

Lampy totters on the threshold of reform. Would it not be better to revert to the old maxim, "Nothing is new, nothing is true, and nothing matters?" and like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, lure with sweet music the rats and the vermin from their haunts, to be drowned in the scum of the Charles?