CLEANING UP.

People dissatisfied with the government of the United States are of two distinct classes. Besides the man who wants to introduce an entirely new system of government, there is His Honor, the Average Citizen who while sitting vigorously on the exponents of revolution, will tear Congress to pieces as one of his great diversions; will proceed to condemn government attempts at business, and then finish off with a few choice words on the speed of Supreme Court deliberations. The justice of these criticisms is of course doubtful. There will always be grounds for just criticism as long as politicians run the government alone.

Professional politicians are essential under any form of government. They must more or less run the government-which is perfectly all right as long as the people run the politicians. Political power ought to be a public trust. Of course it isn't.

Political power will never be a public trust until unfaithful trustees are removed, efficient ones rewarded. When the average man turns from running the government himself during spasmodic outbursts of reform, and devotes himself to running the politicians all the time, the Average Citizen will be better satisfied with his government.