HOLD TRYOUTS FOR PASTEUR PRIZE DEBATE ON JANUARY 22

French Department in Charge of Contest Gives Sources of Data Needed.

Announcement has been made of the subject for the Pasteur debate, the first tryouts of which will be held on January 22. It is: "Resolved, That France and Belgium should be reimbursed for all actual destruction of property during the war, by Inter-Allied loan, to be repaid eventually with the German Indemnity Loan."

At the first tryouts the competitors will speak for five minutes on either side of the question. Six men will be retained and will speak in the final debates in February. These finals will be 12 minutes in length, and may also be on either side of the question.

The French Department, which has charge of the contest, calls especial attention to "France Etats-Unis Review" of October, 1919, which has an article entitled "France's Sacrifice During the War," that gives the fundamental data. This review may be obtained at Widener Library. Negative arguments are available in the records of the Peace Conference, since the idea of an inter-allied loan was not adopted.

The prize, which is in the form of a medal, was founded in 1898 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and is awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French Politics, the debate to be conducted in English. The administration of the prize is in the hands of the Department of French, which is authorized to call in the aid of other instructors, of students, and of graduates in determining the precise conditions of the competition and in selecting judges.