THE NEW INDUSTRIAL CODE.

The tentative industrial code drawn up by the conference which sat at the order of President Wilson in Washington last month brings before the American public the need for criticism and research in industrial matters. As to the proposed code, it does not settle any of the vexed questions now facing the country as the result of the conflict between capital and labor; its only real constructive force is that it aims to create special industrial courts to decide industrial matters. Such a system would bring us nearer an equitable settlement of disputes without resort to strikes. But an industrial court is not enough; definite principles in the form of a code are needed. The conference did not show where the line is to be drawn between industries whose maintenance is essential to the life of the nation and in which strikes cannot be tolerated, and those other less essential industries. Nor did it suggest any compensation for those men who are forbidden the right to strike. Such compensation must be a part of any code that hopes to succeed. The conference made only the vaguest suggestions pertaining to a fair minimum wage or a test of performance which will insure adequate production for the nation. Naturally many of these questions are to be left to the courts, but it seems highly unfortunate that a conference which included in its personnel many of the best minds of the country on economic questions left Washington without making any concrete suggestions.

Undoubtedly the real contribution of the conference is that it has brought to light the woeful inadequacy of existing knowledge to cope with the problems of industrial unrest. The men who have drawn up the present scheme have asked for criticism and suggestion from the country. They have also undertaken special research along special lines, and will meet later in the month to revise their plan. This part of their labors is admirable. The truth is, however, that the people of the United States have not yet the power or the energy to face industrial problems in a scientific spirit. That is the true lesson to be drawn from the deliberations in Washington. Otherwise they will have been in vain.

A special industrial branch of the government should be organized to carry on research work, and to make available data essential to the settlement of a crisis such as that just caused by the coal strike. The will is not lacking but the material is not now at hand.