145 MEN OUT FOR TRACK

"MUST REGAIN SUPREMACY"

One hundred and twenty-nine men signed up for track in the University and Freshman squads at the mass meeting in the Living Room of the Union last night. As twenty-five men who are daily reporting at the field were unable to attend the meeting, a total of about 145 will compete for the teams. But the need of more men was emphasized by all of the speakers of the evening.

W. F. Garcelon, former graduate treasurer of the H. A. A. and track man, told of the efforts which are being made to put track on a broader and firmer basis. He said that all previous efforts do not compare in scope to the present plans, which are under the guidance of a Graduate Track Advisory Committee composed of W. M. Rand '09, Herbert Jacques '11, and R. C. Floyd '11.

"Get the Football Spirit."

The next speaker, W. M. Rand '09, told reminiscences of the days before 1900 when Harvard was the unchallenged champion of track and a factor in every intercollegiate meet. Until 1909 the University held a position in the track world similar to that now maintained by Cornell, but since then the speaker asserted records show that the Crimson has won only 160 points in all the intercollegiate meets and only three of the nine dual meets with Yale. He continued, that to win now the spirit of the Harvard track team this year must go back to the era when we won, when our teams triumphed as those of Cornell do now. "If we can get some of the stuff and spirit which puts Harvard football where it is, we'll get results in track."

Conditions the Same as at Cornell.

Herbert Jacques '11 next pointed out the semblance of track work to football, to baseball, crew, and hockey, in the necessity of drilling in details and technique. "Some men may say that Cornell and Pennsylvania get their victories because of conditions different from those here at Harvard, but any man had better throw that idea out of the window as bunk. At Cornell they have 250 men each fall for the cross country team alone. They fight with every drop of fighting blood they have." He insisted that attention must be given to details of how to work, how to run, how to train, and unceasing fight.

"Every man, even a star, has to go through the long laps around the track when his legs stiffen up so that it seems as if something would crack and his back aches. But a fighting spirit will carry him through to the thrills of competition and victory which come only to a man in perfect training."

The unusually strenuous schedule was next outlined by Captain D. F. O'Connell '21 and the responsibility which every man incurred from it. B. L. Young '07 stressed the need of every team, no matter what number of stars it has, for second and third-string men. "Stars win firsts and break records, while second and third-string men win meets."