CHESS CLUB GETS UNDER WAY

Meets in Quiet Room in Union at 7.30 Tonight-First-Year Men Invited

The Chess Club of the University will hold its first meeting of the year tonight at 7.30 o'clock in the Quiet Room of the Union. All men registered in the University, and particularly first-year students, who are interested in chess are invited to be present at this meeting.

This year a revival of the interest in chess in the University is anticipated by the club, and plans are being made to meet this situation. Early in the fall a four-man class team will be selected from each of the three Freshman dormitories to compete for the Freshman chess trophy, a silver loving cup which was annually awarded before the war.

Prospects for a successful University chess team are not particularly bright owing to the graduation last June of several players. There are, however, three members of that year's team now in the University whom Captain K. O. MottSmith '21 will use as a nucleus for this fall's organization.

A team of six or eight players, for which men in any department of the University are eligible will be returned in the Metropolitan League. In addition a 10-man team will play against Yale on Friday, November 19, and a four-man team will compete for the Quadrangular League Championship against Yale, Princeton and Columbia in New York city late in December. For these last two matches only undergraduates or Harvard men now in the Graduate Schools will be eligible.