HEAT AND RAIN DELAY PRINCETON'S PRACTICE

WEAK SPOT AROUND CENTRE

Due to the scarcity of stiff scrimmage sessions on account of the late start of practice and the recent heat and rain, the Princeton line-up is as yet quite uncertain. The Swarthmore game Saturday will be a real test of the squad's strength, to be measured not so much by the size of the score rolled up against the Pennsylvanians as in the first display of form exhibited by several of last year's squad upon whom Coach Roper has been heavily counting for the coming year.

Apparently Roper's problem lies in the middle of the line, where the gaps caused by the departure of Captain McGraw, Bigler, Parisette, Morgan and Baker, seem very difficult to fill satisfactorily. Thomas, who substituted for Captain Callahan at center in both the "big games" of last fall, has been moved into a guard position flanking Callahan, who is thus left without a first-rate substitute. Coach George Funk '15, in charge of the centers, has been forced to requisition backfield members and train them to the snapper-back position. As yet, Opie, whose running was chiefly responsible for his Freshman team's victory over Yale in 1917, is the only man to give much promise. He weighs 165, and is very aggressive. At present Speers, scrub guard last year, and one of the weight-men of the track team that vanquished Oxford at London this summer, is playing a strong game and will probably start against Swarthmore.

Keck Now in A1 Form

Keck, whose inability, due to injury, to play through the games last fall with the University and Yale, was bewailed by all supporters of the Orange and Black, should, if not again injured, be a fixture at one tackle position. He is in splendid condition at present. His foremost running mates at present are McMammon and Rutan. The latter, former Hill School player, was a tower of strength in the Freshman line last year. Dickinson, practically a first-string line player, used at tackle and guard last fall, is at present being used at guard, where the need for experienced men seems greatest. Halsey, another track athlete in the weight events, has returned to bolster up the center of the line.

Davis and Raymond at Wings

On the wings, Davis, regular end in 1919, and Raymond, a substitute, are at present the first choices to start the game Saturday. McNamara is an available "P" man, whose weight and speed made him a valuable end last year.

From the way in which Roper is assigning Lourie to the quarterback position during signal practice and light scrimmages, it appears that to the former Exeter captain falls the unenviable job of filling Strubing's shoes.

The work this week of the 1923 stars, Gorman and Gilroy, and Thompson, who is this year making his first stab at Princeton football, has been very gratifying to Backfield Coach Glick. Thompson has been equally proficient at linebucking and shifty end-running, and has done much to temporarily fill the place of Garrity, who has just reported in rather poor condition, due to illness. Gorman has been substituting for Lourie at quarterback, and his unexpectedly impressive showing, despite his light weight, makes it probable that Murrey, former quarterback, whose drop-kicking ability and speed make him too valuable a man to keep on the sidelines, will be given a thorough try-out at one of the halfback positions, where Wittmer and Andrey are now starting the scrimmages.

Gilroy Aspirant for Halfback Berth

Gilroy has showed enough ability at the Stadium as a member of Exeter and Princeton Freshman teams to give promise of working into a halfback position by the end of the season. Scheerer's punting ability makes him a factor to be reckoned with when the backfield selections are made: and since Garrity will soon be ready to dive into the heavy sort of line-bucking that was his forte last year, there will be many changes for certain before the team stacks up against the Navy and Chicago in late October.

The last two practice sessions have been rather light due to excessive heat and thunder storms. However, the First Team, guided by German, has pushed the Scrubs back for at least two touchdowns daily. The play has been ragged and many substitutions have been made, especially in the line.