Lowell Institute Lectures

COMMENT

That the Lowell Institute is keeping abreast of the times in the selection of subjects for its public lectures in order to make them of distinct and increasing munity is shown by the program for the munty is shown by the program for the first half of the coming season, which is announced today. In the list of topics are many which will bring before the audiences chapters of history so presented as to be of value in dealing with current problems. The Institute is especially fortunate in being able to give to the public a fuller understanding of the Pilgrims and their ideals through the medium of the six lectures by Professor George Pierce Baker of Harvard University. Professor Baker, who has been selected to arrange the pageant for the Plymouth Tercentenary next year, has recently returned to this country after some months spent in England and Holland.

The lectures which will be given on the Australian labor movement may be described, perhaps, as dealing with industrial history in the making. Hon. Crawford Vaughan, by whom these lectures will be delivered, is a former premier of South Australia and has held other public offices. His descriptions of conditions in Australia will be these of a trained economist, experienced in practical affairs and speaking from first-hand knowledge.

The course in which Professor J. Franklin Jamieson will describe the American Revolution as a social movement supplements that of Professor Baker in applying the lessons of the past to the problems of the present. Professor Herbert Eugene Bolton of the University of California, who comes to trace, for the benefit of Lowell Institute audiences, the expansion of the Spanish empire in America, is an authority in a branch of American history which perhaps has not received the attention which it merits. Boston Transcript.