Mr. Hoover on the One Issue

COMMENT

A clear and able analysis of the Republican case was presented by Mr. Hoover in his speech at Indianapolis yesterday. Not so much for new arguments as for an accurate definition of existing issues and their relative importance is the address notable. Mr. Hoover does an especial service in placing the league problem--important as it is--in its true perspective to the broader issue of the campaign. In his telling phrase:

"The solemn referendum is not on the league; it is on the failure of the Democratic party."

Of that failure Mr. Hoover speaks with an intimate knowledge and a lack of partisan heat that cannot fail to persuade. His review is detailed and overwhelming and points a moral for the future that is inescapable. The failure of Democratic leadership--"disintegration," Mr. Hoover well calls the present status of Mr. Wilson's Administration--necessitates that "the responsibilities of government be transferred." That is the single issue of the campaign in the Tribune's view, and Mr. Hoover has done a service to the country in stating the facts with such inevitable logic.

Mr. Hoover's argument touching the League of Nations is equally admirable. There is no issue between the parties on the broad question of a league or no league. As Mr. Hoover well says, the issue is solely one of method--whether it is best to seek peace by driving this country against its judgment into the Wilson league exactly as drafted, or to organize the good will of the people or America in a world league to which they can give their hearty support. New York Tribune.