THE ANGLO-RUSSIAN AGREEMENT

According to recent dispatches to this country, it appears that a trade agreement is about to be negotiated between England and Russia. It is well known how necessary is Russia's trade for the economic rehabilitation of all Europe, and how much Russia's pauperism has played into the hands of the Soviet faction. A starving, naked people prove easy meat for skilful agitators working for their own ends. Trade must be re-established between Russia and the rest of Europe, and the Russian peasant must obtain food, boots, shoes, clothes, agricultural implements, and tools of all kinds in exchange for his product, instead of paper that will buy nothing, before Russia can be right again.

Thus trade relations can only be successfully resumed, for the present at least, on the principle of barter. In order to get Russia's grain, the trader must send what is of value to her, for money means nothing where it will buy nothing. For example, a certain London firm recently sent to the Ukraine a shipment of grain sacks worth one shilling apiece, and in exchange received for each sack, barley worth in England eleven shillings.

It is on such a principle that the agreement is to be based. Significant it is to note that the much argued question of recognition or non-recognition of the Moscow government goes unmentioned. The agreement is founded on immediate need. It does not concern itself with Bolshevist principles. It aims at the very heart of the problem of starving Europe, and heroin lies its merit.