An Irritated Reader

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Most of your editorials since the opening of the College year have had a very irritating effect upon me, especially so the one in today's issue under the caption "Riga."

I wish to contradict you most strongly by saying that America did not look with "anxiety" or "resentment" upon "the advance of the Red army upon the Polish borders." To tell the truth everyday America paid little attention to the Russo-Polish affair, being already heartily sick of the European muddle. But what irritates me here is your evident lack of desire to give the true historical perspective to this "Red advance," or your mention of Koskiusko shows you to be more familiar with your ancient history than with the living history of today.

Anyone at all attentive to European history of the past year could inform you that Poland first invaded Russia. Roustem Bek told you at the Union last year why, in his conception, the Russians permitted so great an advance. Yet to that invasion, after Russia had offered peace to Poland, you made no objection; now you look with "anxiety" upon the "Red advance"!

Please stop playing favorites with nations because their governments happen to displease you; remember that history is not a bad thing, but something organic, alive, and in the making; and pay at least as much attention to the true history of today as to the facts of the past. EDWARD M. RUBIN '22.   October 7, 1920.