OWEN ONLY SCORER IN SCRIMMAGE WITH SCRUBS

EMPHASIS LAID ON KICKING

Owen was the only man to score in a hard scrimmage against the scrubs yesterday afternoon. Once he smashed through the line, broke loose, and dashed 40 yards for a touchdown, evading the alert second team defense by clever dodging tactics. Later, after the University eleven had pushed the seconds back yard by yard, Fitzgerald, who started at quarter as a result of his brilliant work against Williams, sent him plunging through the line for the other score. Then the substitutes were sent in and the play seesawed back and forth without either side threatening to score during the remainder of the scrimmage that lasted three quarters of an hour.

Considerable emphasis was laid on kicking during the practice. While the teams were lined up for dummy scrimmage at the side of the field on the 25-yard line, Buell and Gratwick took turns booting drop-kicks over from this difficult angle while the black jersey men were breaking through and charging at them. Fitts, Owen, Humphrey, and Stillman punted. Faxon practiced kicking goals from touchdown.

Woods and Havemeyer are out for a day or two with minor ailments. Captain Horween didn't take part in practice but was dressed. Lockwood is in condition to play again and went in at guard against the seconds.

The first team line-up against the seconds was: ends, Gaston and Kane; tackles, Faxon and Brown; center, Kunhardt; quarterback, Fitzgerald; halfbacks, Owen and Humphrey; fullback, Hamilton.