GUILD WINS TENNIS TITLE

WINNER LAW SCHOOL STUDENT

H. R. Guild 2L. of Boston won the Philip Nathaniel Jackson Cup and the tennis championship of the University by defeating E. A. Niles 3L. in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, 6-3, yesterday afternoon at Divinity Field. The match was refereed by P. E. Jackson '21, manager of the University team, and Captain L. A. de Turenne '21. Mrs. Arthur Jackson of Boston, donor of the cup in memory of her son Philip Nathaniel, for two years an undergraduate at Harvard, was present to congratulate the winner, who will have his name engraved on the cup and hold it throughout the College year.

Guild's Speed Tells

Guild played the faster, better game of the two, although Niles made him exert himself for almost every point. The latter appeared to find much difficulty in fathoming the speed of Guild's serve, since the latter had it working mighty tidily. The winner also covered his court remarkably well, making many seemingly impossible "gets" and pressing the advantage for the point.

The strongest feature in Niles' play was his uncanny knack at placing the ball. He was very accurate and steady but could not cope with the speed of his opponent, who swept him off his feet. Neither he nor Guild chose to play close to the net, both preferring to stay well in the back court and rely on stiff driving to get their points.

At the start, the players seemed to be very closely matched, dividing the first six games equally, but Guild soon drew away and captured the set with three straight games, breaking through Niles' service for the crucial game, and himself uncovering too swift a service for Niles.

Niles Fades Towards Close

The second and third sets were not as close as the first, but not as one-sided as the score appears to indicate, for Niles worked most of the games up to deuce. Of the eight games won by Niles in the three sets, two were deuce, three love, and the others were won by a safe margin; while of the 18 games taken by the winner, ten were deuce and two love.

The final round of the University championship doubles will be completed on Divinity Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock, when B. Dell 2G.B. and J. B. Fenno Jr. '21 meet D. P. Robinson 1L. and L. A. de Turenne '21 for the championship. The former pair defeated C. H. Hyams 3d '21 and H. R. Guild 2L. in the semi-finals in a very fast match on Tuesday.