CRIPPLED YEARLING TEAM FACES EXETER ON ACADEMY FIELD

EXETER HAS NO UNUSUAL ELEVEN TO OPPOSE CUBS

It is with a materially weakened team that Coach Ryan sends his Yearlings up against the aggressive Exeter combination at three o'clock this afternoon in the Academy town

The backfield problem has steadily occupied the attention of the coaches, and an unfortunate accident Thursday complicated it still further. Coach Ryan started the season with one of the most promising group of backs ever seen on a Freshman team: T. Gehrke, an all-round fullback of remarkable ability; T. M. Carnegie, a brilliant half, and P. Jenkins, his team-mate of almost equal power. This trio, with Gehrke kicking and making long gains, Carnegie showing splendid form in a broken field, and Jenkins plunging, bade fair to surpass the best hopes of the coaches. Early season injuries, however, deprived the team of Carnegie and Gehrke, while a knock in Thursday's scrimmage with the Second Team put out W. K. Greene, one of the substitutes laboriously developed to fill the holes.

Scoring Power X Quality.

This condition in the backfield has called forth eleventh hour changes, and makes the scoring power of the Freshmen an enigma. J. E. Merrill, one of the two first string quarters, has been moved to Greene's position. Merrill's playing at quarterback has been erratic, though on several occasions he has wriggled through his opponents defense and reeled of long gains. The other halfback berth is filled by Jenkins, whose consistent kicking and gaining as well as defensive playing mark him as one of the best on the 1924 squad. Gordon, who has taken Gehrke's place with reasonable satisfaction, will start at fullback. J. J. Lee is an acceptable but not unusual quarter.

Strong Tackle to Tackle Line.

The forward line-up of the Freshmen is a splendid husky affair. D. S. Holder, E. K. McCagg, S. Bradford, R. Hubbard, and C. Hubbard form a sturdy bulwark from tackle to tackle, though Bradford's passing is far better than his line play. Holder particularly is an almost impassable barrier at tackle. The wingmen, L. C. Larrabee and W. N. Gates, are average ends, but have improved steadily.

Against this limping line-up the Ex-onians will oppose a team far below their usual aggregation. Former high school players and experienced men are notable by their absence. But Coach Blake, a former Dartmouth star, may be counted on to present a well rounded team supplying with plenty of spirit and a variety of unusual plays what it lacks in sheer weight and strength.