Don't Vote at All

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Dear Sir:

A moment's reflection proves to the enlightened that it is not so much the citizen's duty to vote as to vote intelligently. So when confronted by candidates appointed at puppet conventions by party leaders determined to obscure or to neutralize every possible issue alike in the realm of ideas and of practical affairs, none but the gullible have any choice but to register at the polls without voting at all. This line of action requires of us courage to withstand exasperating misrepresentation and it is futile without public explanation. But it will remain the only effective course open to liberals until normal-minded parties arise in place of those organizations which have effected not one act of public importance since their provocation of civil war.

Politics will continue to be a sham battle in the United States, if in no other European country, because our powerful men are concerned that the boast of thought and change to be irresistible be proved as vain as their economic control renders the service of the state and the worship of God. JOHN BROOKS WHEELWRIGHT ocC.   October 21, 1920.