THE WHITE ELEPHANT

As the third day of voting in both the Sophomore and Junior classes comes without the necessary sixty per cent vote being cast, in spite of numerous exhortations and appeals to class spirit, there is gradually coming over the College a realization that there is something wrong in our present system. This has found expression in two ways,-a condemnation of non-voters by their more enthusiastic (or perhaps only more conscientious) class-mates, and a naive reply of "Why should we vote when do don't know for whom we are voting?"

Without doubt, the underlying cause for this apparently inexcusable apathy is that the duties of class officers are so light and inconsequential that but few care who the class officers are, except perhaps their personal friends. As there are no duties of a class officer, there can be no qualifications for office; the result is that the office has become merely a reward for popularity or athletic achievement. It would be more suitable to vote for the most popular man or the best athlete, as such, rather than disguising the basis of selection under the role of "President."

Except for the Secretary the duties of the class officers are confined to arranging for the smoker, and even this is usually done by a "Smoker Committee." The President seldom, if ever, acts in his capacity of leader, or representative of the class.

The moral of the present situation is the abolition of all class officers in the Sophomore and Junior years, except that of Secretary. This arrangement has already been successfully adopted at Yale The Secretary is needed to take charge of the financial affairs; he would be the representative of the class when needed, and would also be Chairman of the "Smoker Committee."

The Student Council would be able to appoint a capable Secretary, chosen from the men in the class who have shown executive ability as managers or on publications. The Secretary would be directly responsible to the Council, and would submit a semi-annual report to that body.

This scheme is essentially practicable in doing away with the present dead-wood in class offices. It will abolish the reward of popularity by vote, a custom not in harmony with the ideals of Harvard. It will make the administration of class affairs centralized and more efficient. There does not seem to be any logical excuse for our present system. Why prolong the life of this "white elephant"?