ATTACKS REPUBLICANS

RIDICULES SENATOR HARDING

In his address before the Graduate Schools' Society last evening, President Eliot discussed "The Patriot's Motives for Action in the Coming Election." He attacked the policies of the Republican party and ridiculed Senator Harding's position, saying that he was a tool in the hands of the Senate oligarchy and had no mind or policy of his own.

"Let every open-minded and conscientious voter consider how selfish and timorous were and are the arguments advanced against entrance into the League of Nations," he said. "First, take care of the interests of the American people first. Second, do not risk the lives of American youths except in defense of their own territory when invaded. Third, the Covenant of the League might set up a super state. Fourth, American constitutional liberties might be imperiled by the League.'

"One can only marvel that such selfish and cowardly considerations should be presented to the American people by experienced political leaders.

"When have the American people hesitated to risk their lives in the cause of a just liberty? Never.

"The suggestion that American constitutional liberties might be interfered with by the existing League of Nations would be merely absurd, if it did not insidiously suggest to weaklings a formidable danger.

"Since the main issue of the campaign is clearly--'Shall the United States go into the League of Nations or stay out of it?' the real question for the thoughtful and conscientious citizen is only this: 'Shall I vote for the candidate who declares himself in favor of going into the League or for the candidate who says that he means to stay out?'"