THE GREEK TRAGEDY

The death of King Alexander of Greece from the bite of a pet monkey puts added zest into the speculation that is rife in Europe as to the person of his successor. For a successor he is likely to have. The Greek people seem to be in no particular hurry to establish a republic; they seem to be quite contented with the constitutional form of monarchy. So all that remains is to pick another king from among the numerous candidates for the position.

Unfortunately, there is at present no one figure upon whom the nation seems likely to unite. Instead, there are three main factions, each of which has been intriguing in the principal courts of Europe ever since the king became ill. There is the party of Prince George and that of Prince Paul, both brothers of the late king; as well as a group who favor Prince Andrew, uncle of Alexander, and brother to the deposed Constantine. Besides these there is also the very powerful group who have never lost hope of restoring that exiled monarch. The situation is further complicated by the fact that the powers will never consent that a pro-German Prince should mount the throne, and these aspirants have all, at one time or another, been accused of Teutonic leanings by their ill-wishers. The Greek people, innate politicians, and, above all, that overshadowing genius. Premier Venizelos, must have a finger in the pie as well.

There are grave possibilities of a European crisis, if the factional strife be carried to extremes. One, perhaps all, of the candidates are backed by the Powers that have a special interest in that part of Europe. The Balkan states, in times past, have furnished diplomatic and warlike diversion at the pleasure of a Guiding Hand. Greece may yet do likewise.

It is quite possible, of course, that a compromise may be effected on some person like Prince Charles of Belgium, Prince Arthur of Connaught, or any other popular and unattached prince in good standing. Such a solution of the matter is simple and is a likely one to be adopted. In the meantime, there is one great force which is working in the direction of a peaceful settlement; that force is the good sense and sound judgment of the Greek people and of their great Premier.