CONGRESSMAN GILLETT TAKES UNION ROSTRUM

ADDRESSES UNION MONDAY

Next Monday evening, November 1, at 8 o'clock, the Honorable Mr. Frederick H. Gillett of Springfield, congressman of the 2nd District of Massachusetts and Speaker of the House of Representatives, will speak in the Living Room of the Union. The Union has arranged for Congressman Gillett, who has been an important figure in the House for many years, to speak as the Republican representative in its political program. This meeting will be the third of the Union's regular lecture season and will be open to all members of the Union.

Congressman Gillett is a graduate of Amherst, from the class of 1874, and of the Harvard Law School in the class of 1877. Two years later he entered politics in earnest as Assistant Attorney General of Massachusetts, a position which he held for several years. He was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1890 and again in 1891. Since then he has been a member of the 53rd to the 66th Congresses, covering a period of 27 years continuous service. In Congress, where he is now Speaker, Mr. Gillett has served on many important committees, which include the Committee on Appropriations. Though born in Westfield, Congressman Gillett is a resident of Springfield, in which he has practiced law since graduating from the Law School. Arrangements for his speech here were completed by the management of the Union late yesterday afternoon and fuller plans for his visit are now under consideration.