COLLEGE ATHLETICS FOR ALL

CREW DRAWS LARGEST NUMBER

That the benefits of college athletics need not be limited to a few picked men but can be made available to the average student, is shown by the fact that out of every 10 men in this year's Freshman class at Harvard, six are engaged in organized sport, while the other four are taking some sort of regular athletic exercise.

According to figures given out by the Department of Physical Education at the University, 362 out of 603 Freshmen, or almost exactly 60 percent, are now in organized athletics. Of these, 146 are rowing, 70 are playing football, 61 are in track athletics, 17 in cross country, 20 in soccer, 7 in lacrosse, and 41 in fall baseball. These men all report to their coaches regularly every day.

Twenty-three men, or about 4 percent of the class, get their exercise through equitation in connection with the optional military course give in the University.

36 Percent Exercise Three Times Weekly

The other 218, or about 36 percent of the class, are required to comply with the regulation established in 1919 by the University, providing that all Freshmen not taking part in organized sport or in equitation must exercise regularly three times a week. These men are divided into squads by the Department of Physical Education, and are now exercising as follows: swimming 45, tennis 115, handball 25, gymnasium class 16, squash 17.

When the season for outdoor athletics closes, the Freshmen will not discontinue exercise but will turn to indoor games. In the Freshman Athletic Building, newly constructed, close to the Freshmen Halls, men will play basketball, indoor baseball and handball. There will be a Freshman basketball squad and dormitory basketball and indoor baseball squads. The small group who are obliged to take corrective exercises will do so in the Freshman Athletic Building. Meanwhile at the University Squash Courts, once an adjunct of Randolph Hall but now open to all students now that Randolph is owned by the University, men will be playing squash racquets and handball. At the Big Tree Swimming Pool, which formerly was for the exclusive use of men who lived in Dunster Hall, but is now college property, some 30 or 40 Freshmen who don't know to swim will be learning to. At the Hemenway Gymnasium there will be boxing, fencing, indoor track work, wrestling, and the 5 o'clock gymnasium class. At the Newell Boat House the oarsmen may now practice throughout the winter on the machines.

At the various College athletic buildings not only the 603 members of the Freshman class but hundreds of upper classmen will take part in athletics throughout the cold weather.