POLITICAL DUDS

"Yapping political duds"--so the writer in today's leading communication characterizes the editorials and communications which have appeared in the CRIMSON upon subjects relating to national political issues.

Mr. Oettinger seems to believe that college men know nothing of these matters, are not qualified to discuss them intelligently, and should keep their ignorance to themselves. Of course, neither the editors of the CRIMSON nor its correspondents are experts. They do not pretend to settle these problems. They naturally take an interest, however, in national issues and form opinions on them. A college man who believes that because his knowledge of such problems is limited he should avoid discussion of them and should devote all his thoughts to collegiate or other minor matters will not make a good citizen.

The CRIMSON considers it an exceedingly healthy sign that its readers take sufficient interest in these matters to put their views in writing. Their opinions are of necessity based on imperfect knowledge; yet the great majority of those who will cast their votes next Tuesday will base their views, for the most part, on even more imperfect knowledge. Would Mr. Oettinger, because of this, limit the right to vote, so that only recognized experts could cast their ballots?