THE FOREIGN STUDENT

The meeting of the foreign students of the University last Friday evening in Phillips Brooks House recalls us to a privilege and a duty which the presence of these men from other lands gives us. It is one of the opportunities which we have during our stay at Harvard--this coming into direct contact not only with representative students from different sections of our own country, but also with men from every part of the globe. It is a privilege to rub shoulders with these men, who are the pick of their respective nations. Association with them will broaden our understanding of foreign countries.

As for our duty: We all wish to facilitate the establishment of world peace and understanding. Therefore we should not fail to seize every opportunity to gain the point of view of other peoples. The foreign student has come here to gain friends. We are under obligation to help him out. Let us meet the foreign student at Harvard; let us make him feel our friendliness for him, and then reap the benefits which are to be derived from acquaintance with him.