GENERAL FAYOLLE HERE FRIDAY TO SPEAK AT FIRST UNION MEETING

PRESIDENT LOWELL TO PRESIDE; MORIZE TO INTRODUCE VISITOR

General Marle Emile Fayolle, of the French Army, and personal emissary of Marshal Foch, will speak at the first meeting of the 1920 season to be held on Friday at 8.15 o'clock.

Members of the Faculty and of the Union only will be admitted. President Lowell will preside, while Professor Andre Morize of the French Department, formerly a member of the French mission to Harvard, and during the war on officer in the University R. O. T. C., will introduce the General.

Foch's Emissary at Convention

General Fayolle, who led the first American troops into battle, is making a special trip to Cambridge for the occasion, and his speech here will be one of less than half a dozen delivered in America during his brief visit. Arriving only 10 days ago, General Fayolle came to America as the friend and personal representative of Marshal Foch to the recent convention of the American Legion at Cleveland. Last Friday at Fort Myers, Virginia, in the name of the French Government, General Fayolle conferred upon General Pershing the Medaille Militaire, the highest decoration of France. His speech at West Point was the only other occasion on which he has appeared before an educational institution in the United States.

Famous as Artillery Organizer

During the war General Fayolle was conspicuous for his organization of Allied artillery fire. He was responsible for the perfected form of the "curtain of fire," or barrage put down by heavy guns immediately in advance of attacking infantry. The development of "counter-batteries," which, together with the barrage, destroyed enemy heavy guns before an attack, was his special achievement.

He served as Commander-in-Chief of the Franco-British forces in Italy, and is the wearer of the Cross of the Legion of Honour and the Medaille Militaire.

Dinner Guest Before Speech

Preceding his speech in the Living Room of the Union, General Fayolle will be the guest of honor at a dinner given by the Governing Board of the Union at 7 o'clock in the Trophy Room. President Lowell, members of the Corporation of the University, heads of the Cambridge and Shannon Posts of the American Legion, representatives of the Faculty, and the undergraduate committee of the Union will be present.