N. Y. U. HAS LARGEST ENROLMENT IN COUNTRY

LAW SCHOOL IN SECOND PLACE

For the perennial discussion concerning the largest university in the United States, Mr. Raymond Walters of Lehigh University gives some interesting statistics in an article in "School and Society." After an extensive review and tabulation of the enrolment of 30 universities for the year 1919 the following are listed as the 10 biggest institutions of this character in the country: New York, 11,237; California, 9435; Michigan, 8255; Columbia, 8069; Illinois, 8052; Minnesota, 7451; Pennsylvania, 7094; Wisconsin, 6872; Northwestern, 6798; and Ohio State, 6608.

The figures are compiled solely from the students taking work during the collegiate year of nine months. Summer school registrations are, therefore, included in a separate list. The article shows the wonderful advances in enrolment in western and middle-western universities, in which the University of Minnesota leads with 89 percent in the last five years.

When the different branches of the universities are considered, Harvard holds second place on the list of the five largest law schools, 879 having been enrolled last year. On this list, New York leads with 1007; Columbia is third with 481; Michigan, fourth with 423; and Texas is fifth with an enrolment of 317. A similar list of Medical Schools gives Harvard, even with its necessarily limited enrolment, fifth place. A southern university figures largely on the Medical School list, which is composed of: New York, 657; Tulans of Louisiana, 463; Pennsylvania, 456; Michigan, 423; and Harvard, 417. The geographical disposition of the seats of learning of the country is one of the most interesting features of these statistics.