YALE HAS SCRIMMAGE, TIGERS REST AFTER SATURDAY GAMES.

Displayed More Open Play in First Game Than Did Elis or the University

At Princeton Saturday, Swarthmore went home satisfied, having crossed the Tiger line and being defeated by the highly respectable score of 17-6. Princeton exhibited far more open play than did either Yale or the University in its opening game. Combining forward passes and tricky runs with line plunges by Wittmer, Lourie guided his team up to striking distance, where in every case he resorted to the forward pass. Twice he succeeded, once tossing the ball to Raymond behind the posts, and the second time receiving the ball over the line himself from Murrey. On the third attempt to score a forward, the pass grounded; but Murrey stepped back and booted a neat goal. Offside penalties marred Princeton's attack, and directly prevented one score after a long run by Lourie. Lourie's play was the most encouraging feature of Princeton's win. His spec forward passing, and generality glpromise that Strubing will not be miss after all. The fact that Coach Rop started Murrey and Gilroy, whose specialty is speed, at the halfback position and opened up his attack at once, indicates that he is going to continue the year along his principles of "Mode Football."

Good Substitutes Are Scarce

Contrary to Jones' practice, Coa Roper gave all his first-string men a refollowing the Swarthmore game. The second and third string men scrimmage most of the afternoon and showed noting to contradict the statement that go substitute material is going to be one Roper's great problems. The signal practice run through by the first team winmarked by the first appearance in the line-up of Garrity, last year's life plunger, and the man whose clever interference was directly responsible for Scheerer's winning touchdown again Yale last November.

Season's Score for Syracuse, 104

Syracuse ran its season's total up 104 points in its second game, burying Vermont to the dirge of 49-0. Coach Chick Meehan, Syracuse quarterback few years ago, has heavy veteran material to work with, including two A America line men.