ADVOCATE INAUGURATES NEW COMPETITION FOR ARTISTS

Successful Designs Will Be Used to Decorate Coming Issues--Ends November 5

What should prove one of the most interesting and novel of this season's new features in the Harvard Advocate is the prize competition which opens today; interesting, because of the new talent it will call out; novel, because it is the first time in the long history of the magazine that such a competition has been conducted.

Believing that there are many in the University who have a desire to create designs and draw subjects that require a somewhat more thoughtful handling and a subtler technique than is called for in other college publications, the Harvard Advocate announces a prize competition for the best designs offered by any University man which are appropriate for use on the Board of Editors and Contents page, and as initial letters and tail pieces for editorials and stories. A prize of $10 will be awarded to the man presenting, before 8 P.M. on Friday. November fifth, the best set of drawings of this character.

If the response to the competition is what it seems most probable it will be, some very artistic things should be forthcoming which will add greatly to the typographical appearance and general appeal of the magazine. The winning designs will be used in all future issues of the advocate. All men wishing to enter the competition are requested to report at the Advocate House, 244 Holyoke street, any evening between 7 and 8 o'clock. An editor will be present at this time to give further details concerning the work of the competition or to answer any possible questions which may arise.