RECOGNITION FOR MEXICO

There are strong indications that the new government of Mexico is one of stability and one with a creditable sense of its duties and obligations. On the fifth of September, the citizens of that country elected Alvaro Obregon to be their chief executive. Prominent and popular as a soldier and as a statesman, the president-elect is supported by a coalition of parties and gives promise of a new lease of life to Mexico.

It is natural that recognition by the United States government should play an important part in the political and social rehabilitation of Mexico. The full protection of valid American interests in that country has been our primary concern. It has been promised by President do la Hueria and by President elect Obregon that these interests will be protected; and indeed the present government seems better qualified to make such a promise than any preceding government since the time of Diaz.

The attitude of the United States has always been one of toleration toward Mexico,--when such toleration was consistent with the best interests of both nations. The Mexicans now are almost for the first time learning to govern themselves; they are recovering from the paternalism of Diaz. The recognition of their government by the United States would have a wholesome influence upon their internal affairs. The governors of three of our border states--Texas, Arizona and New Mexico--haxe expressed their faith in the stability and sincerity of Mexico. It is to be hoped the federal government will soon be able to speak in the same way for the nation as a whole.