The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Communication

Criticism of the Union

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Harvard Union is supposed to be a club for Harvard students. If it be really such, the members certainly ought to have the same privileges as the members of a regular city club. This is by no means the case, for at another club all are treated as members, whereas at the Union all are treated as strangers. No greater difference can exist; under such conditions one can never come to consider the Union as something really close to the student body. In several ways this distinction is manifest, but most notable is the rule that ordinary members cannot cash checks at the newsstand there--unless, indeed, he happens to "stand in" with the man behind the counter. When favoritism is added to the system of making the less favored members feel like strangers, the Union becomes quite the opposite of an all-inclusive club.

I do not mean to advocate that the rule be extended to all, because this would only create hard feelings without in the least aiding the situation. If the Union is to be a club wherein every member can consider himself thoroughly at home, however, such privileges as cashing checks cannot be refused. In no way would the Union lose anything, for, not to mention that a Harvard man can be trusted if anyone in the world can, the showing of the bursar's card could be demanded. HERBERT J. WEBER '24.

November 7, 1920.