SPERRY TO GIVE LAYMAN'S TALK AT UNION TONIGHT

WILL ALSO OUTLINE USE OF HIGH-INTENSITY LIGHT

Mr. Elmer A. Sperry, well-known inventor and President of the Sperry Gyroscope Company, will talk on the subject of the "Gyroscope at Work in War and Peace" in the Living Room of the Union at 8 o'clock tonight under the auspices of the Department of Astronomy The lecture will be open to the public.

By a thorough study of the theories governing gyroscopic reaction and phenomena, Mr. Sperry has succeeded in developing a non-magnetic compass which holds unerringly to the true north, thus removing the uncertainty of the easily affected magnetic needle; and a ship stabilizer which has already made rolling and pitching a thing of the past. He will tell of the application of these instruments and with the aid of lantern slides, moving pictures, and models, will show them in the process of construction and in actual operation.

Has Aided Searchlight Development

Through the invention by Mr. Sperry of a special high-intensity light, it has been possible to make the large search-lights for Army, Navy, and commercial uses of much less weight and, therefore, of greater mobility and usefulness. Mr. Sperry will trace the development and application of these lights and of the remarkable results obtained with them.

Mr. Sperry is a member of many important mechanical and electrical societies, being one of the founders of the American Institute of Electrical and of the American Electro-Chemical Society. During, the war he held the chairmanship of three committees connected with the Naval Consulting Board, has medals and awards from several outstanding societies and expositions of both this country and Europe. Mr. Sperry will arrive from New York late this afternoon for his lecture here, which is to be entirely non-mathematical and non-technical in character.