THE GREEK ELECTIONS

After the first elections held in Greece since December, 1915, Premier Veneze los is able to announce a significant victory for his party. Its chief importance lies, of course, in the fact that the return of the Venezelists to power means the end of former King Constantine's hopes of regaining the throne from which he was forced to abdicate on account of pro-German tendencies during the war. The Royalist party, though greatly weakened by Constantine's exile, maintained its organization, and threatened to indicate itself at the elections. Having failed, however, its last chance of success is gone. Prince Paul, the second son of Constantine, and the choice of the Liberalists, will doubtless accept the throne.

The elections have been of importance, as well, in demonstrating the premier's hold over the Greeks. His campaign four was like a triumphal progress, and his victory is largely a personal one. His pledge to retire form the political field if his party suffered defeat undoubtedly brought him a great number of votes, the people being in no hurry to lose a capable premier. There have even been whispers of a Republic with Venezelos as its first head but as yet these whispers are too faint to be formulated into any sort of statement or policy.

The elections, in rejecting the Royalist plea for a return to the old status of things, will prove to be an important step in the settlement of Greece's internal troubles. The remainder now rests with the Venezelists themselves.