Gilbert and Sullivan in the Roles of Phantasmagoriac and British Propagandist

Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

(A popular American novelist once remarked: "A Frenchman can understand a joke if it's nasty; an Italian if it's cruel; an Englishman if it's explained to him; and a German if it's on somebody else; but an American is the only man on earth who can understand a joke on himself. The American sense of humor is a bubble on the cup of courage." Isn't there a Japanese sense of humor, too?--Ed.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Honored Sir:--I inclose to you, sir, a copy of a letter which I have today sent to the Honorable Mayor Peters of City Hall, asking him to prohibit in this city at the Boston Opera House performances of "The Mikado."

The letter needs no further elucidation. It is for your publication if you wish it so.

I bespeak your cooperation in stamping out this attempt of British propagandists to bring about trouble between my country and your Fatherland through continued stage representations of the Japanese Emperor as a clown, the Japanese women as congenital idiots, and Japanese women as congenital idiots, and Japanese governmental institutions as the machinations of a phantasmagoric intoxicated by alcoholic stimulants. Respectfully,   S. HARIMOTO,

President, Society for American-Japanese Peace.

November 20, 1920.

Honorable Mayor, City of Boston,

Honorable Sir:--As president of the Society for American-Japanese Peace, I ask you, on behalf of the Japanese residents of your city to prohibit the proposed performances at the Boston Opera House of that scandalous libel on the people of Japan, "The Mikado."

I would call your attention to the fact that performances of this buffoonery of Messrs. Gilbert and Sullivan scheduled for the Savoy Theatre, London, during the World War, were prohibited by the British censor, at the request of the Japanese Embassy in London, on the grounds that it held the Ruler, people, and institutions of an Allied Nation up to ridicule, and tended to create a hostile feeling for England on the part of the Japanese.

At the present time, when every loyal American should be lending his efforts towards the promotion of a permanent peace between this country and Japan, it seems very bad taste, and very significant that an English company should be scheduled to produce this opera here.

It is, I understand, within your power as Mayor, to prohibit its performance here, and I trust that in the interests of world peace, and the continued friendship of America and Japan you will do so.   Respectfully,   S. HARIMOTO.

November 20, 1920.