PROSPECTS NONE TO GOOD

PRACTICE STARTS DECEMBER 1

Prospects of turning out a championship swimming team this year are not exceptionally brilliant. For many seasons the University swimming teams have been decidedly mediocre, because not enough interest in the sport was shown to insure a large squad from which to pick a really first-class team.

For several years Yale has defeated the University in this sport, and unless a great many more men turn out this winter than have in the past, the Elis will continue to do so.

What material there is available from the last year's swimming teams, is good. A. N. Brackett '21, G. S. Worcester '22 and P. Johnson '21, all letter men, have returned to college and are counted upon to take care of the dashes and 220-yard events. J. C. Jacobson '21 and R. F. Thayer '23, the former ineligible last year, and the latter the captain of the Freshman team last season, are two other reliable men who are expected to do well in the shorter distance events. However, all of last year's divers have graduated and as there were none of exceptional ability on the 1923 team, this department will be very weak unless some experienced men turn out.

Prendergast Selected as Coach

Mr. Michael Prendergast, although his appointment has not yet been ratified by the Athletic Committee, has agreed to coach both the University and Freshman teams this season. Mr. Prendergast is well known in and around Boston as a swimmer and in 1916 was a member of the Brookline Gymnasium relay team which broke the world's record for the event. In 1914 and 1915, he was on the swimming team of the Brookline High School which won the National Interscholastic championship. In 1917 and 1918, he was on the Brown University team, and later, after joining the navy, was appointed swimming instructor of the second naval district.

Last year the team did not have a very enviable record as it was beaten by Amherst, Annapolis, Brown, Princeton, M. I. T., and Yale, although it did defeat Springfield College, Williams and B. U.

The schedule for this winter is not yet complete but will probably include meets with the teams which were on the schedule last season. A new feature which will probably be in effect this winter is a triangular meet in New York. Candidates for the teams and for the managership competitions will be called out on December 1. The first scheduled meet will be held about the 15th of January.