Select Judges for Advocate Contests

Eight judges have been chosen for the three prize competitions announced this fall by the Advocate and it is expected that a ninth will be obtained soon in order to make three for each division. Dean L. B. R. Briggs '75, Holworthy Hall, and Arthur Stanwood Pier '95 are to judge the submitted stories; Professor Irving Babbitt '89, Ellery Sedgwick '94 and William Roscoe Thayer '81 will choose the winning essay; while Conrad Aiken '11 and Professor J. L. Lowes, Ph.D. '03 will pass judgment upon the sonnets.

Next Wednesday, December 1, is the closing date of the prize story competition. Though they need not be limited to such a field, stories about college life, or with college life as a background, will receive particular attention. The essay should be preferably on some undergraduate topic of current interest, while the sonnet may be on any subject, including love. The latter provision is a change from last year, as is the provision that the sonnets need not be in Petrarchan form. Further details regarding the competitions, in each of which a $25 prize is offered, may be obtained at Advocate House any evening between 7 and 8 o'clock, except Saturday and Sunday.