Lord Mayor MacSwiney

COMMENT

As the body of Terence MacSwiney was borne past the City Hall at Cork, soldiers stationed there came to attention and their officers saluted. Opinions differ widely as to the wisdom of the Sinn Fein movement and as to its ultimate bearing upon the happiness of Ireland; but true men everywhere will join in that token of respect and admiration. To MacSwiney the liberal measure of freedom which Great Britain offers, and the prosperity which has already been achieved, are as nothing in comparison with the territorial and military independence of his people; and in that conviction he made every sacrifice.

History records few deaths more agonizing, few martyrdoms more prolonged. In all the slow weeks there was no evidence of weakening, no abatement of the first resolve. Now that it is all ended and he lies with former comrades in the "Republican Plot," the world may well stand in spirit as those British soldiers stood.

Of the justice of his imprisonment there seems no question. As to the wisdom of the Government in refusing to release him, responsible opinion is divided even in England. But of this there can be no doubt, that the late Lord Mayor has taken a place in the long list of nobly sincere and impassioned Irish patriots. --New York Times.