PENN STATE RIDES CREST OF COLLEGE FOTBALL WAVE

Conqueror of Penn Must Defeat Pitt and Lehigh to Claim State Title Way Stars

That Hugo Bezdeck's Penn State eleven is living up to its reputation again this season, is shown by the fact that in its first six games it has scored 232 points to its opponents' 28. Chief among its victories are the 14 to 7 defeat of Dartmouth, and the decisive 28 to 8 defeat of the University of Pennsylvania team, coached by Heisman, the master of shift formations. The next three games, however, will give the Blue and White a still better chance to prove its power. Next Saturday they meet the giant Nebraska "Cornhuskers," who are considered the heaviest eleven in the country, without an exception. Lehigh follows the Westerners in an extremely arduous schedule. Later, they meet Glenn Warner's Pittsburg juggernaut, which recently scored a 10' to 3 victory over the "Golden Tornado" from Georgia Tech that last week routed Centre College.

Way is a Rip-Snorter

Critics who saw the game between Penn State and the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia last Saturday, reported that the state team, though scoring 28 points, was in a slump. Realizing that he will have to press his men in order to get them in condition to face Nebraska Saturday, Coach Bezdeck prescribed for them a day of tough scrimmage and a long signal drill yesterday. As a result of Saturday's game, only two men were seriously enough injured to be out of practice. Charlie Way, the plucky little halfback whom many consider a strong contender for the All-American team, and who, although injured in the first few minutes of play Saturday, stayed in until nearly the middle of the game, is again in first-class condition. He is one of the cleverest broken-field runners in Eastern football, and his long runs have been the feature of every game in which he has played. They also have in Brown, one of the greatest ends of this or any other season, who will be quite as capable as the famous Higgins of crossing in to nab passes over the center of the line--one of Higgins' fortes. Besides this, they have a good kicking game and a steady generalship.

The State institution has made an enviable name for itself in college football circles over a long stretch of years, has played an advanced and scientific game, and has been as sound and conservative as any eleven in the East in its coaching systems. It has had from time to time some exceptional material, still has that exceptional material, and has in Hugo Bezdeck the natural successor to a long line of distinguished coaches.