THE RAILROADS ON TRIAL

The next few months will prove a critical period in the history of railroading, if we are to believe Mr. Daniel Willard, president of the B. and O. The railroads, he frankly admits, are on trial to see whether they are to remain with their private owners or go once more to the control of the government. There must be no more of that "people be damned" attitude, which has all too often characterized the managements in the past Public-spirited men with a broad vision and a desire to serve the community as a whole must replace the smug, self-centered directors of the past. Co-operation must be the keynote of all their endeavors. Given this and a body of loyal employees, Mr. Willard is sure that the roads will make good. The Transportation Act of 1920 is regarded as being of inestimable service in the fulfilment of these aims and one of the few really wise pieces of legislation which has been passed in the last few years. The Public, the ultimate tribunal before which the case must be tried, has a strong bias toward the private owners as a result of out wartime experiences with government control. But better, far better, service than we get now will be demanded from the roads if they are to remain in private hands. They must not trade too much on the public favor. An entire reorganization is needed, and it looks as if the roads were trying to give it to us.