The Mexican Situation

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In your editorial this morning on Mexcio, you express a strong desire that the State department soon recognize the government of General Alvaro Obregon. A few considerations in this respect may not be altogether inappropriate.

It is true that the government in question has promised the protection of American interests in Mexico. It has done so, however, in a desperate effort to obtain the support of the United States, without which no government can last in Mexico, and not because it considered itself responsible enough to give any guarantee. Furthermore, the late President Carranza, who was better qualified to make such a promise, made similar assurances in 1914, but failed utterly to live up to them.

General Obregon, the so-called President-elect of Mexico, a soldier by profession, was Mr. Carranza's right-hand man and most trusted adviser, until he chose to revolt against his chief, drive him from power and bring about his death. This fact is not very strange when we view it as a recurrence of General Huerta's famous coup d etat in 1913, when he overthrew the government of Madero and caused that President's subsequent overthrow.

Lastly, we must note that the present apparently dormant state of disorder in Mexico in neither safe nor stable. The Porfirista faction, led by Mr. Felix Diaz and supported by the old land-owning families, is still very powerful; while the Church party, under General Pelaez, is fast-increasing. General Gonsalez, a disappointed aspirant to the Presidency, has a substantial backing of popular opinion. The bandit Villa is in condition to cause considerable trouble when he considers it convenient to do so. Finally, General Salvador Alvarado, a self-avowed aspirant to the office of the Chief Executive and a notorious militarist, may yet prove a formidable opponent to General Obregon, his old rival under the late President Carranza. JAVIER'E. MOLINA '24.