SHOW GREAT INCREASE IN STUDENT EARNINGS

$35,000 EARNED IN SUMMER

Harvard students who registered at the Student Employment Office at the University earned last year a total of over $77,000, according to figures compiled for the annual report of the Harvard Employment Office.

Of this amount, which gives some idea of the extent to which men earn their way at Harvard, approximately $42,000 was earned in term-time and $35,000 in summer work. The figures show a striking gain over the year 1918-19, when the total was $51,000.

The most popular forms of employment during term-time were as tutor, clerk, proctor, monitor, census-taker, choreman and ticket taker. There were also many men who occupied their spare hours in employment as carpenters, salesmen, librarians, ushers, waiters, stenographers or watchmen. During the summer the leading employments for men who were earning their way through college were tutoring and serving as tutor companion, camp counsellor or clerk.

382 Get Jobs Through Office

There were 998 men registered at the office during the year, and of these 382 secured work through it. This shows an advance over the preceding year, when 891 were registered and 356 secured jobs. Somewhat more than half of the men who registered were enrolled in the College, the rest coming from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Law School, Business School, and all the other principal departments of the University.

It is said that the figures compiled by the employment office would probably have to be multiplied by two to represent the total amount of money earned by Harvard students each year toward their self-support, as a large number of men naturally secure positions otherwise than through the office. It may be estimated, therefore, that not far from $150,000 was earned by Harvard students last year, or an average of about twenty-eight dollars per man for the entire student body.