DESCRIBES GAG IMPOSED ON REPORTERS AT PARIS

LITTLE REAL NEWS LEAKED OUT

Obstacles confronting newspaper men at the Peace Conference formed the main topic of Mark Sullivan's address last evening at the Union. This famous correspondent explained the difference in the relation of European newspapers to the governments, which practically dictate what shall be published concerning them, and the free American press.

Mr. Sullivan was introduced by President Eliot, who praised his career as a journalist.

"Mr. Sullivan has survived the dangers of reporter, newspaper owner, Washington correspondent, editor of a sound magazine, and special political correspondent of the New York Evening Post. He is an example of what journalism may be, and what it may become. His career reflects credit on this College, on the Law School, and on himself."

Referring to his adventures as a newspaper correspondent at the Peace Conference, Mr. Sullivan disclosed the astonishing condition of the 112 American reporters at the Conference.

Though President Wilson and the American delegation expected the Conference to be public in accordance with the chief executive's Open covenants, openly arrived at,' there was an attitude of repression of news. Wily diplomats persuaded President Wilson to their view. Hence, a resolution was passed that newspapers could not print anything except the daily bulletins, which were non-committal.

"Of course the American reporters objected, and, in accordance with a resolution of the Conference, called a meeting of all the reporters at the Conference. The result was permission to attend the full plenary session of the Conference. Since there were only seven of them, and all were unimportant, though picturesque, the privilege amounted to nothing at all.