AERONAUTICAL SOCIETY PLANS TO TRAIN PILOTS

SMOKER AT UNION TOMORROW

Plans for an active winter and spring season have been made by the Harvard Aeronautical Society. In January, if weather conditions permit, members of the club who have had former experience as aviators, will begin to fly, using the army aviation field at Framingham as a base.

Convert Former Seaplane

The Aeromarine Seaplane, type 39-B, which the society used at Marblehead, last winter, and which was "crashed" during a flight across the lake chain of southern New Hampshire to Lake Champlain last summer, is now being repaired and converted into a land plane. The reason for substituting landing gear for the pontoons is that there are better facilities for land flying in eastern Massachusetts and not that the flying and instructing which members of the society did last spring, using Marblehead harbor as a base, was a failure.

Instruction Next Spring

In the spring, members of the society who have not as yet qualified as pilots, will be taken up for short "hops" and given instruction. The society hopes that a number of lower classmen will join the society and learn to fly so that they can carry on the active work of the organization after the present aviators have graduated from the University.

Late in the spring, another aviation meet under the auspices of the Intercollegiate Flying Association will be held at Mineola, Long Island. This association, which was organized by L. E. Thomas '20, secretary of the Harvard Aeronautical Society in 1919-20, includes such colleges as Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Williams and the University.

Meet Tests Proficiency

Membership in the Harvard Aeronautical Society is open to all men in the University. Those interested in aviation have been requested by the society to sign up in the blue books which have been posted on the various bulletin boards.

To Stimulate Interest in Society's Aims

A smoker will be held in the Quiet Room of the Union tomorrow evening at 7.30. All men in the University interested in aeronautics have been invited to attend. Captain T. T. Craven, Supervisor of the Naval Reserve Flying Corps and Director of Naval Aviation, has written a letter to the society concerning naval aviation activities which will be read. Major L. H. Drennan, air service officer attached to the Northeastern Department of the United States Army, will discuss the Army reorganization aviation activities. Major MacDill will speak, Cigarettes and refreshments will be served