KANE CHOSEN TO CAPTAIN 1921 ELEVEN

Twenty Members of First Squad Expected Back in College Next Year

At a meeting of the football letter men yesterday, Richmond Keith Kane '22 of Newport, Rhode Island, left end on the eleven this fall, was unanimously elected football captain for next season.

Last year, Kane played right guard on the team, and was in most of the games of the season, including the Oregon game at Pasadena, California. He prepared at the St. George School and captained the team there in his Senior year.

But besides playing football, Kane has been active in crew as well, rowing on the University eight last year and on his Freshman crew.

Although he entered the College in 1918, Kane enrolled as a second-class seaman in the Naval Reserve Force in July and was assigned to the Great Lakes Training Station. Later, however, he was transferred to the Naval Aviation Detachment and then to the Harvard Marine Unit as a private, and discharged on December 16, 1918.

Prospects for a strong eleven next year are very bright. With twenty men who were on the squad sure to return, the guard positions are the only ones which will not be well taken care of. C. C. Buell '23, J. J. Fitzgerald '23 and F. J. Johnson ocC., all regulars, and A. J. Conlon '22, captain and quarterback of the second team this fall, will all be available for quarterback next fall. The outstanding backs are W. H. Churchill '23, R. W. Fitts '23, M. Gratwick '22 and G. Owen '23, although V. Chapin '23 and F. Rouillard '23 will also be strong contenders for a backfield position. For ends, Coach Fisher will have J. Crocker '22, Captain Kane, C. C. Macomber '22 and E. G. Seldon '23 from the regulars, and E. P. Weatherhead '22 and S. P. Moorehead '22 from the second squad. The tackle positions will probably be filled by W. D. Hubbard '22, C. A. C. Eastman '23, J. M. Cooper '23 or B. Lockwood '22. The only regulars available for either of the guard positions will be J. F. Brown '22.

For center, Coach Fisher will have the two regulars, C. A. Tierney '22 and P. B. Kunhardt '23.

Although these men are the outstanding players, having had in most cases one or two years' experience on the first squad, there will also be available for the eleven a number of brilliant Freshmen and several exceptionally good second team men.