THE LIBERAL CLUB

"The function of a university, according to Cardinal Newman, is intellectual culture"; its duty lies in educating the intellect to "reason well in all matters, to reach out towards truth, and grasp it." But a university must of necessity be hampered by the fact has it is practically unable officially to present to its students the opinions of men who are the leaders in modern affairs. Of course it can, and does, provide lectures by competent professors on every phase of present-day problems; but much good may be gained by supplementing these lectures with discussions by men and women outside the university.

It was a realization of this fact that led to the establishment of the Student Liberal Club, which is tonight announcing a program of talks by three of the leading radical thinkers of the country. The motive is a good one; every class of thinkers--moderate or radical, progressive or "standpatter"--must be heard and judged before the mind can be made up with absolute fairness. Narrow-mindedness on any question should play no part in a university, if "intellectual culture" is to be attained. The Liberal Club, in thus offering to the students the side of the radical problem of which they have heard the least, is doing them a real service.