CONSTRUCT RIFLE RANGE

SEASON'S PROSPECTS EXCELLENT

Plans to construct a regulation rifle range in the basement of Persis Smith Hall have been definitely completed. As this range will obviate the necessity of the members of the University rifle team making two trips weekly to the Bay State School of Musketry in Boston it is expected that a great many more men will come out. Besides this, it will be possible to hold practice much oftener.

The range, which will be the regulation length of 50 feet, and will have three or four targets which will be run by motors given to the University by the General Electric Company.

The Athletic Committee has recently agreed to appropriate the funds necessary for the construction of this range, and to purchase a number of small calibre rifles to be used by the members of the team.

Twenty-five candidates for the University team and fifteen for the Freshman team have reported. Ten regulars and three substitutes will be chosen to make up each team. In the week immediately following the Christmas recess the University marksmen will shoot against the Yearlings. Unless there is an unexpected change in the schedule which is being arranged for the University team, meets with the following colleges will take place before the spring recess: Bowdoin, Colgate, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Massachusetts Agricultural College, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton, Syracuse, University of Maine, University of Vermont, Worcester Polytechnic and Yale.

Prospects for a successful season are excellent as nine of the ten men who were on the team which won 15 out of 18 meets last year, have returned to College. Captain S. K. Bolton '21 and C. J. Young '21, the two men who turned in the best records in these meets, are practicing now. The other seven members of the team who returned to College are R. Currier '22, W. G. Cutter '22, W. B. Darling '22, A. L. Jacobs 3E.S., G. G. Monks '21, A. Rotch '21 and S. Wheatland '21. In addition, nine of the ten men who were on the Freshman team last year, are eligible.