GLEE CLUB ASKED TO VISIT FRANCE IN CONCERT TOUR

Regular Christmas Western Tour Begins Today; Concert in Cleveland Tomorrow Night

The French Government has invited the Glee Club to visit France next summer and give concerts in Paris and other French cities, and the Glee Club has provisionally accepted the invitation. If the expenses can be met, the trip will be made.

The French invitation came from the Department of Public Instruction as a result of the distinction attained by the Glee Club as a choral organization under the leadership of Dr. Archibald T. Davison '06. The Department has offered to contribute 30,000 francs toward the trip and to secure certain reductions in transportation rates. Whether its offer can be finally accepted depends on whether the Club can meet the remainder of the cost, which will be approximately fifty thousand dollars.

College Office Approves

The College authorities have approved the project, since the Club will not leave until after the close of the college year, and so will not have to take any time off from academic work.

In expectation of the coming of the Glee Club, two of the leading French composers, Maurice Ravel and Eric Satie, are now writing special to be sung by it during the French tour.

The tentative itinerary includes a concert at the Trocadero in Paris on July 4, a concert at Strasbourg on Bastile Day, July 14, and performances at Deanville, Nancy, Celmar, and Mul-house. It is hoped that the Club may also be able to sing at Geneva and visit cities in Italy, Belgium, and England.

The invitation extended to it by the French Government is believed to the without precedent in the history of American college musical organizations.

Off on Christmas Trip Today

Leaving Boston today, the Glee Club will make a western trip in the Christmas recess, giving concerts in a number of large cities. Tomorrow evening the club will sing in Cleveland. For the evening, after the concert, a smoker has been arranged by the Harvard Club of Cleveland.

From that city the club will go to Chicago where it will spend four days. All members of the club and undergraduates of the University have been invited to luncheon by the Harvard Club of Chicago at the University Club on Friday, December 24. Two days later the club will take lunch with Mrs. Rellogg Fairbank and dinner with Mrs. Francis Beidler. On the afternoon of Monday, December 27, the club will sing to a large gathering of school children in Winnetka, returning to Chicago in time for the concert that is scheduled to be given in Orchestra Hall that evening.

In Kansas City the 28th

An invitation has been received from the Kansas City Harvard Club to take lunch at the University Club in Kansas City on December 28. In the afternoon the club has been invited to tour the city in automobiles and attend a tea. The club will give a concert in the Westport High School Auditorium at 8.15 in the evening.

Again, the next afternoon, when the club will be in St. Louis, it has been invited to take an automobile trip and to go to an afternoon tea. In the evening the club will give a concert in the St. Louis Odeon which seats 2,500 people.

Since, because of the coal shortage, it was impossible to make arrangements for a concert in Louisville, Kentucky, the club will go direct from St. Louis to Pittsburg where it will sing in Canegie Hall on December 31. The Harvard Club of Pittsburg has invited the men to dinner at the University Club on the thirty-first