LESSEN ROUTINE WORK IN CRIMSON COMPETITIONS

COMPETITION STARTS ON JAN. 6

The work of the CRIMSON news competition which starts on January 6, the Thursday after the reopening of College, will consist primarily of getting and writing up news, with much less routine work than in former competitions. This has been caused by the elimination of the night duty in the printing shop. The purpose of this change is to give the candidates more time for looking up news stories so that the news of the University will be more completely covered. It will also offer a greater opportunity for getting interviews and signed articles from prominent men who visit the University or Boston.

The competition gives the candidates a wide knowledge of the activities of the College, and brings them into contact with the leaders of every sort of undergraduate activity, both athletic and intellectual. It also offers valuable training in developing a clear prose style. However, no previous journalistic or literary training of any kind is needed to compete successfully.

Members of both the Sophomore and Freshman classes are eligible to enter the competition, which will last not more than twelve weeks. The successful candidates will become news editors, and eligible to compete for the managing editorship and presidency. News editors will also be allowed to write play reviews, and the editor assigned to cover a sport will accompany the team on its trips; the crew editor, for example, will be sent to Red Top with the crew this spring.

Photo Competition Also Starts

At the same time a photographic competition which is open to members of the class of 1923 and the class of 1924 will begin and will continue for not more than 12 weeks. Men who are competing will be given ample opportunity to study during the period of the mid-year examinations.

As the candidates take pictures of all College activities, they have an excellent opportunity to get in touch with undergraduate interests, especially the spring sports. Candidates will be chosen on the basis of the number of photographs published in the bi-weekly supplement, the ability they show in the dark room, and the originality of their work. Previous photographic experience is not necessary. A dark room, with complete equipment, in the Crimson Building is available for use but men must supply their own cameras.