THE NEW DYE INDUSTRY

Among the many lessons and opportunities forced upon America by the war, one of the most important is the new dye industry. Before commerce with Germany became an impossibility, that country supplied most of the dyestuffs used by our manufacturers. There was no occasion for an American dye industry--indeed, on could not have existed against Germany's competition. But during the war blockade, America was forced of necessity to make its own dyes. None could be had from Germany, and but a small quantity from other sources, consequently a dye industry was formed, which has steadily grown in size and excellence, until it now turns out products that might bid fair to compete with any foreign market. This industry, however, is still in its infancy. Materials and wages are costly, and it has not yet established itself firmly with the manufacturers.

It is at this critical point that the war blockade has been lifted, and out markets once more opened to the cheaper and more popular German dyes. Should there be no protection given to the American industry, it must infallibly fall. Wages in Germany are low, and that country will make a strong attempt to win back its old trade. Our own industry must be fostered for a time if America expects to hold the ground gained during the last four years.

Representative Longworth, realizing this fact, has presented a bill which requires the licensing of all foreign dyes brought into the country, and establishes a board whose duty it will be to provide that only the dyes that are absolutely necessary shall be licensed. This bill has already passed the House, but has failed by a small minority in the Senate. It is to be hoped that the measure will be reconsidered; any industry which will eventually free us from dependence for necessities upon a foreign nation is important enough to be protected until it can take care of itself.